The Department of Respiratory Therapy at MCHP Manipal was established in 1995 and is an allied medical specialty concerned with the evaluation and treatment of patients with breathing problems.
The scope of respiratory therapy includes:
- Clinical assessment of patients with cardiorespiratory disorders.
- Administration of medical gases including oxygen, helium and nitric oxide.
- Provision of humidification of respired gases.
- Administration of respiratory drugs such as bronchodilators, mucolytics, mucokinetics.
- Chest physiotherapy, postural drainage and clearance of secretions.
- Performing and interpreting pulmonary function tests and ABG.
- Initiation, maintenance and weaning patients off mechanical ventilation.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation programme (including cessation of smoking).
- Perform and assist for emergency cardiac life support elsewhere.
It offers the program Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy (BSc RT).
- First and largest Department of Respiratory Therapy in India
- Learning through direct hands-on practice with adequate supervision from experts from the field.
- State-of-art equipment, simulation lab and intensive care units which provide latest treatment strategies and better learning to the students.
- Industrial support for demonstration of latest technology and equipment.
- State-of-art ICUs and equipment and support from anaesthesiology department Paediatrics, Cardiology, neurology which makes the department independent in the treatment of patients and the students get to learn about all kinds of cases.
- Surgical ICU
- Medical ICU
- Neonatal and Paediatric ICU
- Neurology ICU
- Cardiac ICU
- Sleep studies
The Department of Respiratory Therapy has a well-equipped Lab.
Access to hospital facilities gives student hands-on training in respiratory therapy procedures
State-of-the-art Innovation Centre to facilitate multi-disciplinary research
Laboratories give students the opportunity for practical experience
Sports & Fitness
Marena is the world-class facilities with courts for badminton, tennis, soccer & squash as well as a well-equipped gymnasium
Libraries have publications on the latest developments in respiratory therapy
Student hostels are their homes away from homes
I love my life in Manipal – I feel at home. Manipal is the best!
Qsee H S
It’s more like being a part of the Manipal universe, than just Manipal university!
Manipal provides the students with the choices of the good and the bad, best and the worst, right and the wrong.
Nuclear Medicine Department is equipped with high end instruments, which helps the students to get a sound practical knowledge.
BSc NMT, DNMT, MSc NMT.