CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs medico legal autopsies.
- Attends courts to give evidence.
- Visits crime scenes.
- Examines and issues certificates in cases of alleged sexual assault and certificates of age estimation
- Is co-guide for postgraduate dissertation work and supervises the academic activities of a group of students.
- Is a member of curriculum development committee of Manipal University.
Dr Shankar M Bakkannavar teaches MBBS and postgraduates students.
SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING
|Subject||Subject code||Semester / Year|
|Forensic Medicine and Toxicology||MBBS||3rd, 4th and 5th semester|
|Forensic Medicine and Toxicology||MD|
|Degree||Specialisation||Institute||Year of passing|
|MBAHCS||Health Care Services||Sikkim Manipal University||2013|
|Certificate course in Prospectives in Disability||Prospectives in Disability||Department of Physiotherapy, MCOAHS, Manipal and Manipal Centre of Philosophy and Humanities||2012|
|DCL (Diploma in Cyber Law)||Cyber Law||Symbiosis Centre for Distance Education, Pune||2010|
|MD||Forensic Medicine||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||2009|
|MBBS||Al-Ameen Medical College, Bijapur||2001|
|Institution / Organisation||Designation||Role||Tenure|
|KMC, Manipal||Associate Professor||05/2013 till date|
|KMC, Manipal||Assistant Professor||05/2009 to 05/2013|
|KMC, Manipal||Tutor||05/2006 to 04/2009|
AREAS OF INTEREST, EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH
Area of Interest
Forensic Pathology , Epidemiology , Medical Ethics , Forensic Odontology , Suicidology , Traffic Medicine , Toxicology Law in Relation to Medicine , Medical Education
Area of Expertise
Forensic Odontology , Forensic Toxicology , Forensic Photography , Cyber law
Area of Research
Forensic odontology , Traffic Medicine , Forensic Pathology
Professional Affiliations & Contributions
- Member of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine, attending Annual Conference sand presenting scientific papers 2010.
- Member of Karnataka Medico-legal Society, attending Annual Conferences and presenting scientific papers, 2009.
- Member of South India Medico-legal Association, attending Annual Conference sand presenting scientific papers, 2010.
- Member of Indo Pacific Academy of Forensic Odontology, attending Annual Conferences and presenting scientific papers, 2009.
- Member of Society for Prevention of Injuries and Corporal Punishment, attending Annual Conferences and presenting scientific papers, 2009.
- Member of Indo Pacific Academy of Forensic Nursing Science, attending Annual Conferences and presenting scientific papers, 2009.
Profile of organophosphorus insecticides poisoning in Kasturba hospital, Manipal, South India
2014-01-02 Raghavan p Amar R Nayak VC Bakkannavar SM Nayak S Ramachandran A
Journal of Pharmaceutical and Scientific Innovation. 3 (1), Jan–Feb 2014; 73 – 77
Effectiveness of continuous Pralidoxime (PAM) infusion compared with repeated bolus injection in Organophosphorus (OP) poisoning
2014-01-05 Raghavan P Amar R Nayak VC Bakkannavar SM Nayak S Ramachandran V
International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences Vol. 3 (5), May 2014; 761 – 775.
Anticonvulsant Activity of Gap-junctional Blocker Carbenoxolone in Albino Rats
2014-01-01 Reddy SK Patil NA Nayak VC Shenoy S Bhandarkar A Bakkannavar SM Kotian R
Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol. 2014; 3(4): 711-717.
Knowledge and attitude of nurses to biomedical waste management: A cross sectional study
J Pharm Biomed Sci 2014; 04(08):733-736.
Foramen Magnum as a Tool of Estimating Stature in a Male Population
Journal of SIMLA. Sept 2014; Vol. 6(2): 46 – 48
Sudden Death due to Septic Thrombi associated with septicemia – A case report
Journal of South India Medico-legal Association. Sept 2014; Vol. 6(2), 80 – 83.
Sex Determination using (big bore 16 slice) Multidetector Computed Tomography of Maxillary Sinus
2014-01-01 Kotian RP Bakkannavar SM Madhavan Nayak VC
JKAMLS 2014 Vol. 23(2); 15 – 20.
Intentional Self-harm by an Elder Abuse Victim
JKAMLS 2014 Vol. 23(2); 34 – 36
2014-01-01 Bakkannavar SM
Journal of Karnataka Medico Legal Society. Vol. 23(2): 2014; 3
Fatal Occupational Scalds - A Case Report and Review of Literature
2014-01-03 Bakkannavar SM Babu RYP Manjunath S Kumar PG
Journal of South India Medico-legal Association. Vol 6(1), Mar 2014; 31 – 34.
Psychological autopsy - an important tool for postmortem diagnosis of death
2014-01-03 Babu RYP Bakkannavar SM Manjunath S Joseph N Kishan K Palimar V
Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology. Vol 7(1), Jan-Mar 2014: 41 – 43
Fatal Burns Due To Arcing Current
Journal of Karnataka Medico Legal Society. Vol. 23(1): 2014; 34 – 36
Journal of Karnataka Medico Legal Society. Vol. 23(1): 2014; 3
Mystery behind a sudden death – a case report
Indian Journal of Forensic and Community Medicine 2014; 1(1): 49-52
Estimation of Stature from Middle Finger length-in Salem region
2014-01-12 Kumar SS Shetty P Bakkanavar SM
Ind J Forensic Med & Tox. July-Dec 2014, Vol.8, No 2. Pg 31-32,DOI Num:10.5958/0973-9130.2014.00676.8