Neurosurgery department was established in 1982. It was the first of its kind in this part of the country. Initially, it started with 33 beds (Neurosurgery and Neurology combined with ICU also). Later since 1991, it is shifted to the present location in Dhanvanthri ward with 66 beds, it is the first among a few Neurological sciences department to have an ICU of their own from the beginning.
The department of Neurosurgery is one of the largest and busiest in the sate. The department has catered to the neurosurgical needs of patients in the area for the last 3 decades.
With an independent neurosurgical ICU and postgraduate programme, the department provides cutting edge care for all cranial and spinal disease around the clock.
In addition to trauma and routine neurosurgical procedures what department also treats vascular diseases (aneurysms, AVMs), complicated skull base and other lumbar and complicated spinal diseases.
A special mention needs to be made of minimally invasive microscope and endoscopic procedures for both cranial and spinal diseases. These procedures are being performed regularly in the department with excellent results.
Backed by the finest medical equipment and seen by a dedicated team of doctors and nurses in the department provides neurosurgical care comparable with the best in the country.
- One of the earliest neurosurgical departments in the state established in 1981
- Has its own neurosurgical ICU since its inception
- All complex cranial and spinal diseases are treated in the department routinely
- Has been providing round the clock care for patients suffering from cranial and spinal trauma for the last 3 decades
- Has a MCI recognised MCh postgraduate programme with 2 candidates being admitted yearly
- Postgraduates have a year-round teaching programme in addition to intensive wards on training during the 3-year course
- Newer techniques such as atlantoaxial fusion procedures, endoscopic cranial and spinal procedures and minimally invasive surgeries are routinely performed in the department.
- Presently the unit is staffed by 2 Professors and 4 Assistant Professors all of whom a qualified Neurosurgeons. In addition, there are 6 post MS postgraduate students
- The department conducts both theory and clinical teaching programme for the MBBS students in addition postgraduates students form the General surgery department and Facio maxillary department are posted in the department for training
- The department is equipped with state of the ant. neurosurgical equipment including 2 operating microscopes, 3 drills, ultrasonic aspirator, C.arm and endoscopic equipment.
About the Area of Study
Neurosurgery is the field of medicine which deals with the disease of Nervous system which can be treated surgically. The cranial diseases commonly treated include benign and malignant tumours, vascular lesions like aneurysms and AVMs, Paediatric conditions like hydrocephalus etc. Neurosurgery also deals with a wide variety of spinal diseases such as disc prolapse, atlantoaxial instability, spondylolisthesis and kyphoscoliosis
In addition to this Neurosurgery deals with trauma to the skull, brain, vertebral column and spinal cord as well as a variety of peripheral nerve pathologies.