The Department of Chemical Engineering started in 1969 with BTech program in Chemical Engineering. Our department offers MTech since 2009 and Ph.D program in Chemical Engineering since 2000. The BTech program builds on the core elements of heat, mass and momentum transfer, thermodynamics, chemical kinetics, transport processes, control process, with a hands on experience in state of the art laboratories. Various electives and minor specialization in petroleum engineering and pollution control engineering, prepare students for industries or higher studies. The MTech course emphasis on the advanced courses with main focus on research project. This provides an excellent platform to prepare the next generation research scholars. The Ph.D program indeed offers inter and multidisciplinary research to address socio-economic and industrial problems. Our high student-faculty ratio facilities high quality teaching, project and research guidance to students with great care.
We are very proud to announce that, on 2019 we had celebrated our Golden Jubilee year of establishment of Chemical Engineering Department. Here is the link to the souvenir : https://drive.google.com/file/d/14HcV-oYocGWtugTmpjRpz0kD6choi59f/view
We also take immense pleasure in sharing the inaugural July 2021 issue of the semiannual newsletter of the Chemical Engg Department. It is a collection of all the activities and exciting happenings in the department. This is the link to the E-newsletter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PujA6_SJQy8-0sSLcfDWg9zaxnOvfy3b/view
To be the department that fosters excellence in education, research and innovation in Chemical Engineering and emerging inter disciplinary fields.
- To provide quality education that prepares the graduates for leading roles in their chosen career and life-long learning.
- To develop technology through excellence in research, in conjunction with the technical education that is recognized by the peers in profession in the emerging fields of Chemical, Biochemical, Energy, Environmental engineering, and Material Science.
- To achieve technical excellence through industry-institute interactions.
- To produce graduates who are able to perform in multi-disciplinary teams and demonstrate superior team leadership.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (PO)
In addition to PEOs, the B.Tech chemical engineering program established a set of Program Outcomes(POs), based on National Board of Accreditation Guidelines, and expected to be met by every graduating student from the program at the time of graduation.
The graduates of B.Tech chemical engineering will have ability to:
PO 1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
PO 2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
PO 3. Design/Development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
PO 4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
PO 5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
PO 6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
PO 7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
PO 8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
PO 9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
PO 10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
PO 11. Project management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
PO 12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes of Chemical Engineering:
PSO-I – Apply the principles of unit operations and unit processes to design chemical process equipment.
PSO-II – Develop, Model, Simulate and optimize the chemical process systems.
PSO-III – Recommend sustainable solutions for environmental and energy engineering related challenges.
- One of the oldest departments in Manipal Institute of Technology, imparting quality education for over 40 years
- Fully functional computer lab with core software like Aspen, Matlab, AutoCAD, etc.
- Basic undergraduate laboratories as well as research oriented laboratories
- “Chemignite” – a national level symposium is conducted every year by the student chapter of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Placements offered by Core, IT and ITES companies.
- Studnets got placed in companies like Deloitte, Goldman Sachs, Lead Squared, TCS, CapeGemini, Cognizant, Infosys, Verzeo, Unschool, BASF, The Math Company, Leverage Education, My Captain and many more.
- Students went for higher students in world class univerties like Imperial College London, Cornel university, University of California, Georgia Institute of Technology, Adelaide University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University,Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Northeastern University, Columbia university, Texas A&M University, Wageningen University and Research, University of Maryland and many more.
- Process Modeling and Simulation
- Fluid and Fluid-Solid Operations
- Drug Delivery Systems
- Catalysis and Nanotechnology
- Environmental Pollution Control
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Process Control
- Renewable Energy
- Advanced Materials
World-class laboratories give learning a practical dimension
State-of-the-art Innovation Centre to facilitate multi-disciplinary research
Libraries have excellent resources for reference and study
Paper tree - A green initiative by MIT students of MUTBI
Wi-fi campus with modern computing and digital facilities
For me MAHE is a place with ample opportunities to grow professionally and personally.
Learning is an awesome experience at Manipal. This is the best place to be for students.
MAHE is giving us wings to fly and providing us with resources necessary to make it big in life.
MAHE has taught me the value of organisation and to be systematic in all my work.
My experience at MIT has been great from the beginning.
I’m glad I choose Manipal University.