Department of Physics is one of the founder departments of the Institute. Currently, the department has grown and developed into a centre of PG studies and research. Faculty are specialized in various fields such as experimental and theoretical Physics. The department offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs in Physics. The total external funds received by the Department for various research projects is over Rs 60 million. The department offers open elective subjects to B.Tech. and M.Tech. students apart from teaching Engineering Physics.
To provide state-of-the-art infrastructure to the Centre for Excellence in Physics Education with a blend of basic as well as applied research.
Department Areas of Expertise
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Material Science
- Radiation and Nuclear Physics
- Thin film-based devices
- Solar cells
- Non-linear Optics
- High Energy Physics
The department provides dedicated lab facilities for running lab-associated courses to undergraduate/postgraduate/research programs. Physics research laboratories are equipped with the following instruments.
- Profilometer - Bruker Dektak XT
- UV/Vis/NIR Spectrophotometer
- Z-scan System
- Crystal Dilatometer
- Thermal Diffusivity Measurement System
- Seebeck Coefficient Measurement System
- Low-Temperature Resistivity Measurement System
- Hall Effect System
- Keithley 2450 Source Meter
- Photodetector Analysis Setup
- Crystal Puller
- Solution Crystal Growth Apparatus
- Dual CVD System
- DC Magnetron Sputtering
- The Thermal Co-Evaporation System
- Spray Pyrolysis Unit
- SILAR Controller
- Vacuum Annealing Unit
Physics department is well supported by the Institute placement team. The placement team is headed by Associate Director (Industrial Liaison, Placement & Practice School) and oversees the entire placement process in the institution with the help of department coordinators. Institute has established tie-ups with INFOSYS Ltd, TCS Ltd, for placements. Other public sector companies requested for campus hiring are EMBIBE, Pigeon Education Technology, and Aakash Institute. Our M.Sc. (Physics) students have joined the following universities in India and overseas for the Ph.D. program.
- Australian National University [Anu], Australia
- KU Leuven University, Belgium
- IIT Indore
- Clemson University, USA
- University of Cologne, Germany
- Mangalore University
- JINR(Joint Institute for nuclear research) Dubna, Moscow Region, Russia
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru
- Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland
- Center for Nano Science and Technology) Milon, Italy
- National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- NIT Karnataka, Surathkal, Karnataka, India
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India
The Department of Physics, MIT offers the following program:
M.Sc. (Physics) Program Syllabus
World-class laboratories give learning a practical dimension
State-of-the-art Innovation Centre to facilitate multi-disciplinary research
Libraries have excellent resources for reference and study
Paper tree - A green initiative by MIT students of MUTBI
Wi-fi campus with modern computing and digital facilities
The areas of research are Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Nuclear Physics, Nano-materials, Thin film based devices, Solar cells, Spectroscopy, Non-linear optics and Atmospheric Physics and High Energy Physics
For me MAHE is a place with ample opportunities to grow professionally and personally.
Learning is an awesome experience at Manipal. This is the best place to be for students.
MAHE is giving us wings to fly and providing us with resources necessary to make it big in life.
MAHE has taught me the value of organisation and to be systematic in all my work.
My experience at MIT has been great from the beginning.
I’m glad I choose Manipal University.