About the Department
The Department of Endocrinology provides a specialised care in the area of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and metabolism. The Department of Endocrinology offers advanced hormonal evaluation and dynamic testing for various endocrine and metabolic disorders backed by state-of-the-art diagnostic laboratory. Endocrinology department is the first of its kind in the Udupi district and is a referral centre for the neighbouring districts.
The “Manipal Comprehensive Diabetes Care centre” has recently been launched to offer comprehensive diabetes care under a single roof, which includes Nutrition counselling, Diabetes self-management education by diabetes counsellors, foot care, physiotherapy, Diabetes complication screening and patient centric treatment facilities
The department also provides Fellowship in Diabetes courses which is a postdoctoral training program in Diabetes mellitus. The Fellows will be trained in several aspects of comprehensive diabetes management, diabetes related research and community programs. The state of art training in comprehensive management of Diabetes with a good clinical exposure will help them in excelling in their careers and provide evidence-based diabetes care to their patients and community in large.
Dr Kavitha Seetharaman, Newton Wellesley Hospital, Endocrinology Clinic, USA
Department of Endocrinology offers specialised management by the experts for the following conditions:
· Diabetes Mellitus: Comprehensive Diabetes Care
· Young onset diabetes: T1DM, Pancreatic DM, secondary diabetes and Syndromic Diabetes
· Gestational Diabetes
· Obesity and it's complications
· Thyroid Disorders-. Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Goiter, Thyroid Nodules etc.
· Disorders of Growth and Puberty (Short Stature, Precocious Puberty, Delayed Puberty etc)
· Reproductive and Sexual Disorders
· Menstrual Disorders, Hirsutism and Virilsation, Hypogonadism
· Metabolic Bone Diseases: Osteoporosis, Rickets, Osteomalacia, Sclerotic Bone Diseases, Calcium Disorders, Recurrent Fractures, Fragility Fractures, Recurrent Nephrolithiasis, Nephrocalcinosis etc.
· Renal Tubular Acidosis and other Dyselectrolytemia
· Pituitary Disorders
· Adrenal Disorders (Adrenal Insufficiency, Cushing's, Exogenous Steroid induced Cushing's, Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, Adrenal / Suprarenal Masses etc.)
· Hypoglycemia evaluation and Management (Hyperinsulinemic, Hypoglycemia, Insulinoma, Reactive Hypoglycemia etc)
· Neuroendocrine Tumours
Areas of research: Diabetes Mellitus, Metabolic bone diseases, thyroid disorders, pituitary disorders
The department has DXA BMD testing facility which can be used for research in osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases.
Faculty is a PhD guide and is currently a Co-Guide/Subject expert to PhD scholars
· Insulin autoimmune syndrome: a rare cause of spontaneous hypoglycaemia in non-diabetic individuals. Ravindra S, Shetty S.BMJ Case Rep. 2020 Dec 9; 13(12):e234448. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2020-234448.PMID: 33298474
· Vertebral fracture assessment by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry along with bone mineral density in the evaluation of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Shetty S, John B, Mohan S, Paul TV.Arch Osteoporos. 2020 Feb 24;15(1):25. doi: 10.1007/s11657-020-0688-9.PMID: 32095943
· Identification of risk factors and metabolic monitoring practices in patients on antipsychotic drugs in South India. Poojari PG, Khan SA, Shenoy S, Acharya LD, Shetty S, Bose S, Pai K, Kunhikatta V, Thunga G. Asian J Psychiatr. 2020 Oct; 53:102186.
· DXA Measured Visceral Adipose Tissue, Total Fat, Anthropometric Indices and its Association with Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Mother-Daughter Pairs from India. Shetty S, Kapoor N, Thomas N, Paul TV. J Clin Densitom. 2020 Jun 12:S1094-6950(20)30092-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jocd.2020.06.001. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32651111
· Kollipara S, Ravindra S, Pai K, Shetty S. Quadriplegia and rhabdomyolysis as a presenting feature of Conn's syndrome. BMJ Case Rep. 2021 Jan 25;14(1):e234686.
· Shashikala K Bhat1 , Jyoti M Bali2 , Shashikiran Umakanth3 , Asha Kamath4 , Sahana Shetty5 2020. Glycosylated Hemoglobin in Early Pregnancy as a Marker to Predict Gestational Diabetes Mellitus – A Prospective Cohort Study. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development. 11, 7 (Jul. 2020), 799-805.
· Parikh P, Shetty S, Rodrigues G, et al. Brown tumour mimicking skeletal metastasis. BMJ Case Rep 2021;14:e243478.