The Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (ENT – Head and neck surgery) at KMC Manipal started its postgraduate training in 1971. It is attached to a tertiary care hospital that caters to patients from Goa to Kerala.
The department was the first to start a cochlear implant program in India in 1995 with a 22-channel cochlear implant electrode. The department also started endoscopic sinus surgery in 1989. We have a large series of total laryngopharyngoesophagectomy with gastric transposition surgeries.
The sophisticated outpatient department houses a microscopy room, ENG room, endoscopy and stroboscopy room and a full-fledged allergy clinic caters to about 130 outpatients daily from coastal south India.
- The department performs KTP and CO2 laser-assisted surgeries for the treatment of various head and neck lesions including cancers.
- It acts as a referral centre for patients from north and south India as well as patients from South Africa, Nepal, Middle East, and Malaysia.
- It has one of the largest series of endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) in India.
- Inter-departmental research work involving clinical pharmacology, radiology, audiology, and speech-language pathology.
- The unit is equipped to carry out basic comprehensive audiometry, tympanometry, Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA), hearing aid trial and provides support for the cochlear implant program.
- The department along with anatomy department conducts temporal bone and head and neck hands-on workshops regularly.
- Advanced diagnostic procedures in OPD
- Micro ear surgeries including cochlear implantation
- Endoscopic surgeries
- Endoscopic skull base surgeries
- Head and neck oncosurgery
- Laser assisted surgeries
- Surgery for snoring and sleep apnea
- Diagnosis and treatment of nasal allergy
- Diagnosis and treatment of vertigo and headache.
Individual departments under KMC are supported by state-of-the-art infrastructure for research and clinical experience.
Laboratories supplement classroom teaching with practicals
Libraries have excellent resources for reference and study
Teaching in hospitals give students hands-on learning
Research & publications
The areas of research include: Evaluation of histogenesis of various organ systems using fetal tissues. Estimation of subcutaneous fat and fibre distribution and types in the abdominal region and its clinical implications. Effect of DHA and Colin on stress induced behaviour and histological changes in the CNS. • Preventive and protective role of cissus quadrangular is extract on diabetes induced osteopenia and bone loss in osteoporosis- a cellular and molecular evaluation. Cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in curative and prophylactic role of Caesalpinia Bonduc extracts on Liver toxicity. Use of lead as nanoparticle in traditional medicine - multi-organ approach to evaluate the functional, cellular and molecular alterations. Role of traditional medicinal preparations in wound healing - structural, biomechanical, molecular evaluations use normal and diabetic wound models.
We get to do everything by ourselves. The sense of freedom and responsibility here ensures that we learn beyond classrooms.
It has been a great experience to be at Manipal University for internship, a good opportunity to meet students from different countries.
Manipal is a place with so much diversity but I feel at home. There is no other place like Manipal.
I find Manipal a very cute little university town, with all comforts like a good gym and swimming pool. It has an international vibe.
The learning environment here is unique. The infrastructure is designed to facilitate hands-on learning. I love the life here as a student!