The Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology at KMC Manipal was established in 1974. Today it has MCI-accredited undergraduate and postgraduate programs, and is equipped with the latest equipment managed by a team of highly qualified professionals. Kasturba Hospital is ISO 9001:2008 (Quality Management System) and ISO 14000 (Environmental Management System) certified.
The department is suitably equipped to provide almost all possible therapeutic services for inpatients and outpatients.
The department acquired a Telecobalt (Gammatron-R) Unit and Brachytherapy system and treated about 400 patients in the first year. In order to cater to the number of patients and to improve the standard of treatment, another Telecobalt Unit (AECL Theratron 780C), Linear Accelerator (Mevatron KDS-2), Treatment Planning Simulator Mevasim), Computerised Treatment Planning System (AECL TP-11), Brachytherapy Units- High Dose (Cathetron), Strontium-90 Ophthalmic applicator and Superficial x-ray Units were acquired.
In 1991, with financial assistance from Shamdasani Foundation, the Shirdi Saibaba Cancer Hospital And Research Centre, a modern multi-disciplinary cancer hospital was started as a unit of Kasturba Hospital, Manipal. This has departments of Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Nuclear Medicine, Pain and Palliative Care Unit and Psycho-Oncology. In addition to these, the hospital helps in early detection of cancer among the local population by conducting camps and creating awareness programs.
Domiciliary Palliative Program: Since 75-80% of the patients come at an advanced stage of disease and most of them require palliative care, the department runs a palliative care programme for terminally ill cancer patients. This is carried out through regular home visits and timely treatment.If needed, trained physicians along with experienced social workers and nurses are provided.
- MD Radiotherapy, BSc MRT, MSc MRP course, courses for undergraduates, Biomedical Engineering students, BSc and MSc Nursing students
- Regular Continuing Oncology Education Programme (CME), seminars, journal club, case discussion regularly
- Conducts Breast Clinic once a week to decide on a treatment regime, Joint Tumour Board Meeting once a month with the participation of Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Nuclear medicine and Pain
- Clinic consultants.
- Cancer screening programme, conducted in and around Manipal
- Palliative care programme for the terminally ill
- Psycho-Oncology Clinic for needy cancer patients once a week
- Group therapy for the care givers of cancer patients
- Early detection of breast cancer among rural women, utilising for screening/ treatment of women of age group 45-60 years for breast cancer
- Mammography Unit installed in November 2005
- Orientation and promotion of research programs.
- Affiliated to Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Collaborates on research projects with Indian Council of Medical Research and Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences.