About the Department
Established in 1971, this department has evolved over time in providing the best of care to patients and also training post graduates. The Department of Anaesthesiology at Kasturba Medical College Manipal aids patients with perioperative care, pain management for both minimally invasive and complex open surgeries. Our department works as a team with various other surgical specialties offering general anesthesia, regional anesthesia, acute and chronic pain management, we also handle critically ill patients requiring surgery. Work is equally balanced with academics. Regular classes and teaching programmes keep our post graduates updated with the latest guidelines and working protocol. The Head of the Department Dr H.M Krishna, with unit chiefs Dr Anitha Shenoy, Dr Shaji, Dr Arun Kumar, Dr Malavika ensure smooth working of the department and also encourage the post graduates to participate in various academic activities. The department includes other skilled and experienced anesthesiologists giving their best effort.
The department provides anaesthetic services at approximately 30 different locations every day to a variety of surgeries including general surgery, Orthopaedics, obstetrics and gynecology, otorhinolaryngology, ophthalmology, maxillofacial surgery, pediatric, plastic, neuro and cardiac surgery. State of the art technology and science is being used including multimodular-monitors, newer anesthetics, ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia and a large variety of difficult airway equipment among many others providing excellent training opportunities.
Access to the state-of-the-art Simulation Centre provides the trainees excellent opportunities to train in life support skills and management of critical incidents among others. There is always a willingness to learn from one another- junior or senior, young or old. All work is patient-centric with emphasis on safety and ethics. A combination of good quality clinical work as well as academics has made it a department of national repute.
1) Dr Bala Bhaskar currently working as professor, Dept of Anaesthesiology and critical care, vijayanagar Institute of Medical sciences, Ballari.
2) Dr Ravindran P Nair Consultant Anaesthetist, Broiomfield Hospital, Court Road, Broomfield, Chelmsford, Essex, UK.
3) Dr Alexander Philip Consultant Anaesthetist East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust, Colchester Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester, Essex, UK.
4) Dr Ashish Ranjan Satapathy Consultant Anaesthetist, Alexandra Hospital, National University Health Services, Singapore.
5) Dr Alex Joseph Consultant, Department of Anaesthesia & SICU, Changi General Hospital, 2 Simei Street 3, Singapore.
6) Dr Ravishankar Rao Baikady Consultant in Anaesthesia, Department of Anaesthesia, The Royal Marden NHS Foundation Trust, Fulham Road, London, UK.
7) Dr Isabeau A Walker Consultant Paediatric Anaesthetist Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK.
8) Dr Tei Elizabeth Sheraton Consultant Anaesthetist Royal Gwent Hospital Cardiff Road, Newport, UK.
Dr Alexander Philip,
Consultant Anaesthetist, East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust, Colchester Hospital, UK
Dr Alex Joseph,
Consultant, Department of Anaesthesia & SICU, Changi General Hospital, Singapore.
Dr Ashish Ranjan Satapathy,
Consultant-Anaesthetist, Alexandra Hospital, National University Health Services, Singapore.
Ph. D Awarded/Ongoing
The Department of Anaesthesia at Manipal has Ph. D program in Anesthesia started 3years back. the Department hopes to extend its services in this area along with research along with interested candidates.
1) Pre-operative check up
2) Post-operative recovery
3) Acute pain management
4) Labour Analgesia including Epidural Anaesthesia/ Analgesia
5) Anaesthesia for renal transplants and urological procedures
6) Paediatric anesthesia including neonates
7) Anaesthesia for orthopedics procedure
9) Anaesthesia for cardiac procedures including stenting, bypass, lung surgeries
10) Obstetric Anaesthesia and Anaesthesia for gynecological procedures
11) Anaesthesia for other procedures like GI scopys, MRI, dental procedures
12) Anaesthesia for critically ill patients requiring surgery Lectures for
Classes for UG students
Lectures, seminars, symposium, mock drills, case presentations, mock examinations for PG students
Lecture sessions for Anaesthesia technician course trainees
Lectures for students of biomedical engineering.
1. Rao M, Pillai A, Sharma J, Krishna H M, Venkateswaran R, Vaideeshwaran EM, -Comparison of lateral insertion technique of classic laryngeal mask airway along right versus left border of tongue in adults. Srilankan Journal of Anaesthesiology 2019;27(1):40-46, Feb 2019
2. Dr Laxmi Shenoy, Dr Krishna H M, Dr Kalyan N, Dr Kaipu Hari Prasad- A Prospective study between prewarming and co-warming to prevent intraoperative hypothermia- Volume: 35, Issue:2 Month June 2019, 231: 235, Indexed In Web of Science-Q2, Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology.
3. Sujatha PP, Nileshwar A, Krishna H M, Prasad SS, Prabhu M, Kamath SU- Goal-directed V/s Traditional approach to intraoperative fluid therapy during open major bowel surgery: Is there a difference? Anaesthesiology Research and practice 2019; Scopus Indexed –Q2.
4. Arun Kumar, Handigodu Duggappa, Shiyad Muhamed , Shaji Mathew, Satyanarayana, Kuruba Pujari, Manjunath Prabhu, Jayanth Navada : Comparison of glottic view and ease of orotracheal intubation with Macintosh and McCoy laryngoscopes in anaesthetised adult patients : 24 Jul 2019, 27 (2):151-156, Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology-Q4
5. Dr. Lokvendra singh, Dr Kush, Dr Yogesh, Dr Anitha N, Dr Shaji Mathew: Evaluation of effect of entropyon isoflurane consumption and recovery from anaesthesia: Journal of Anaesthesiology clinical Pharmacology, Volume:33, Issue:4, Page: 529- 533, January 2018, Indexed in web of science
- The Department of Anaesthesiology has collaborations with ‘Operation Smile’ an international NGO based in the USA, to provide volunteer anesthesia services for the repair of cleft lip and palate in underprivileged areas of our country and abroad.
- Faculty members have been on several missions in various capacities ranging from Volunteer Anesthetist, Anesthesia Team Leader, Field Medical Director to Regional Medical Director.
- The Department has collaborated with ‘Mission Smile’ to provide volunteer anesthesia services for cleft lip and palate in rural parts of our country.
· Details of Public health programs and outreach programs conducted by the department (Include social programs).
a) Emergency and basic life support training for Auto drivers in Manipal
b) Emergency and basic life support training for anti-naxal force in Karkala
c) Basic knowledge of life support for school children in Parkala
Google map : https://goo.gl/maps/jY9TNXM1AVSBVg2X6
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number : +91- 820- 2922288