About the Department
The Department of Pathology in Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, under Manipal Academy of Higher Education, started the MD Pathology course in the year 1965 and has shown an exponential growth since then, with its alumni spread all over the world. The department has an annual intake of 17 MD postgraduates. In addition, a one-year fellowship program in Oncopathology for post-MD candidates is being offered since 2021.
The department provides its diagnostic service through its NABL accredited labs and is a part of Kasturba Hospital which is ISO 9001:2008 (Quality Management system) and ISO 14000 (Environmental Management System) certified.
The MD Pathology course is a good choice for aspiring postgraduate students and is well-structured based on the NMC requirements. The training is conducted by experienced and dedicated faculty. The department has air-conditioned spacious laboratories equipped with state-of-the-art instruments, ten-headed and penta-headed microscopes with plasma TV for postgraduate teaching, an air-conditioned library with more than120 books and academic CDs along with open access peer reviewed journals.
All faculty members are trained in basic and advanced medical education technology as well as in the new competency based medical education (CBME) curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduates as prescribed by National Medical Council.
The department handles over 20,000 histopathology, 16,000 cytopathology & 6000 immunohistochemistry requests per year and has an extensive panel of over 80 immunohistochemistry markers.
A 24x7 Hematology and Clinical Pathology laboratory caters to in-patients and out-patients and processes about 8,000 tests per day. This laboratory is a referral centre for surrounding districts and neighbouring states.
The postgraduates are trained in the field of:
• Histopathology, Cytology and Haematology
• Fine needle aspiration cytology
. Bone marrow aspiration techniques
• Transplant Immunology
• Flow cytometry
• Neonatal Autopsy techniques and reporting
The Department is involved in research activities including national and international funded research with a scope for postgraduates to be involved in the projects. The Department works with the Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Care Center which is recognised by European Society of Medical Oncology and is part of National Cancer Grid. As an integral part of the cancer care team, pathologists engage and attend tumor board meetings and discussions. The students have ample opportunity to carry out research under the expert mentorship of senior faculty and to present scientific papers in national and international conferences, and publish in high impact peer-reviewed journals.
The department also offers integrated MD-PhD courses and with qualified PhD guides and co-guides. While in its nascent stage, the PhD program in the department is fast growing and offers vast opportunities for doctoral studies in histomorphology, digital pathology, and immunophenotyping.
The department encourages and provide a complete support for research to the faculties, researchers and students. The details of the facilities, resources and the Manipal-Government of Karnataka bioincubator instrument details can be found here.
The career opportunities after postgraduation include:
· Faculty in academic institutes
· Consultant in corporate hospitals
· Pursue fellowships in Oncopathology, Neuropathology,Hematology, Molecular pathology, Molecular Hematology, Laboratory Medicine, Fetal and Perinatal Pathology
· Pursue DM in Histopathology, Hematopathology, Clinical Hematology
· Set up laboratories
· Pursue PhD
· Quality managers
Dr. Rish Pai
Consultant in Mayo clinic, Phoenix, Arizona.
Rish K. Pai, M.D., Ph.D., has an active research interest in the histopathology of inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and liver. Dr. Pai is also interested in molecular and morphologic aspects of colorectal carcinoma.
- Member, Editorial board, American Journal of Surgical Pathology, 2014-present
- President, Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society, 2020-2021
- Member, Education Committee, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2017-2020
- Recipient, Jack Yardley Investigator Award, Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society, 2019
- He has more than hundred publications to his credit.
Dr.Daniel Maurice Berney
· Editor in Chief of Histopathology 2019
· Secretary of International Society of Urological Pathologists (ISUP) 2013-2015
· International Secretary to the British Division of the IAP 2013-2018
· Specialist Uropathology representative for the Royal College of Pathologists. 2013-present
· Chairman of British Association of Uro-Pathologists (BAUP) 2009-2013
· Secretary of British Association of Uro-Pathologists 2006-2009
· Deputy Editor of ‘Histopathology’ 2013-2018
· European Regional Editor for ‘Histopathology’ Appointed Jan 2012
· Associate Editor for ‘Histopathology’ for GU pathology 2006-present.
· He has authored the chapters in the WHO classification of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs and is the chapter editor of
· editor for WHO blue book on GU malignancy 2016 with involvement in testis and Prostate sections.
· He has several publications to his credit.
Dr.Daniel Maurice Berney
Consultant Histopathologist, Barts and The London NHS Trust.
NHS professor of Genito-Urinary Pathology, Barts Cancer Institute.
Lead at Barts Health NHS Trust for GU and Endocrine tumours.
Consultant Dermatopathologist at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh.
· President of the British Society for Dermatopathology and has served in Secretary and Executive Committee member positions in the past.
· Chair of the Examiners’ Panel in Dermatopathology at the RCPath
· He has authored a textbook titled “Pearls and pitfalls in inflammatory dermatopathology” which was published by the Cambridge University Press in 2017.
· He is an alumni of Kasturba medical college.
· Dr. Pai is a surgical pathologist and cytopathologist with a subspecialty focus in gastrointestinal/pancreatobiliary pathology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Presbyterian Hospital.
· His diagnostic expertise includes neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases of the colon and rectum, appendix, and pancreas.
-Pai RK. Polyps of the Small Intestine. In Surgical Pathology of the GI Tract, Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas, Odze RD, Goldblum JR eds. 2014.
-Choudry H, Pai RK, Bartlett DL. Appendiceal Tumors. In Textbook of Complex General Surgical Oncology, 2015 (In press).
-Pai RK. Neoplasms of the Appendix. In Color Atlas and Synopsis: Gastrointestinal Pathology, Xiao SY ed. 2015 (In Press).
-Landau M and Pai RK. Inflammatory Conditions of the Appendix. In Color Atlas and Synopsis: Gastrointestinal Pathology, Xiao SY ed. 2015 (In Press).
Associate Professor of Pathology University of Pittsburgh
Professor and Officer In-Charge of Laboratory Oncology Unitat the AIIMS, New Delhi and Laboratory services at National Cancer Institute, Jhajhar.
· Vice-President of The Cytometry Society (TCS), India.
· Member secretary of laboratory advisory committee at the National Cancer Institute (NCI), India.
· Member of the Central Core Research Facility (CCRF) committee of AIIMS and has contributed particularly in the development of the Genomics and Flow cytometry facilities of the CCRF.
· Dr Gupta has obtained her MBBS from University of Rajasthan, India and MD from Manipal Academy of Higher Education, India.
· Her major research interests pertain to translational research in hematological malignancies. Her laboratory has pioneered several major findings of clinical importance in hemato-oncology in India, establishment of several hematological investigations of clinical relevance in hematolymphoid malignancies as well setting up laboratory protocols for state of art technologies for research purpose.
Dr. Preethi Chaudari.
· Consultant histopathologist in the NHS since14 years.
· Has vast experience in oncopathology with specialist interest in uropathology. Also report GI, gynae, lung and cytology.
· She also has a special interest in digital pathology reporting having been trained in this new technology during her time at Lincoln hospital
· She is a keen educator who participated in undergraduate and post graduate teaching at Leicester University and Lincoln County Hospital
Dr. Preethi Chaudari.
Consultant histopathologist. Lincoln country hospital. Lincoln, UK.
1. Validity of minimally invasive tissue sampling in determining the cause of death in stillbirths and neonates due to neurological insults in the brain: A study in a tertiary care centre in India.
2. Hematological scoring system in the early diagnosis of neonatal sepsis
Principal investigator: Dr.Yashaswini Shetiigar , Guide: Dr.Sushma Belurkar
3. CD30 and P53 expression by immunohistochemistry in DLBCL and its association with cell of origin classification and other prognostic variables- a retrospective study
Principal investigator- Dr.Aadhya Sharma, Guide: Dr. Ranjini Kudva
The department offers comprehensive state-of-the-art services in
· HLA typing and lymphocyte cross-matching for solid organ and bone marrow transplantation
· Flow Cytometry for diagnostics and research
· Clinical Pathology and Haematology
· Autopsy services – for neonatal deaths
The department serves as a referral centre and receives slides and blocks for review from many private hospitals and centres. The standards are maintained through active participation in internal & external quality assurance programs.
Title of the grant
Duration of the project
Validity of minimally invasive tissue sampling in determining the cause of death in stillbirths and neonates due to neurological insults in the brain: A study in a tertiary care centre in India”
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant (RTI International)
Dr. Mary Mathew
1-09-2019 to 1-07 2021
Validation of ‘Artificial Intelligence (AI) based pathology solutions in scoring of biomarker expression in breast cancer and its impact on clinical decision making in breast cancer therapy.
Applied materials India pvt ltd Bengaluru.
Dr.Brij Mohan Singh
9-02-2021 to 31-09-2021
MAC-ID grant for role of intracellular cytokines flowcytometry in assessing TB specific cytokines to differentiate between active and latent TB
17-09-2017 to 17-09-2019
1. Simon I Hay, Laura Dwyer-Lindgren, Benn Sartorius, John D VanderHeide, Koulmane Laxminarayana SL. Local Burden of Disease HIV Collaborators. Subnational mapping of HIV incidence and mortality among individuals aged 15-49 years in sub-Saharan Africa, 2000-18: a modelling study.Lancet HIV. 2021 Jun Scopus Q1
2. Marissa B Reitsma, Parkes J Kendrick, Koulmane Laxminarayana SL. Tobacco Collaborators. Spatial, temporal, and demographic patterns in prevalence of smoking tobacco use and attributable disease burden in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study Lancet. volume 397, issue 10292, 2337-2360, June 19, 2021 Q1
3. Parkes J Kendrick, Marissa B Reitsma, Koulmane Laxminarayana SL. Chewing Tobacco Collaborators. Spatial, temporal, and demographic patterns in prevalence of chewing tobacco use in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet Public health. 2021 Q1
4. Rashmi, R., Prasad, K., Udupa, C. B. K.. A manuscript titled "Multi-Channel Chan-Vese Model for Unsupervised Segmentation of Nuclei from Breast Histopathological Images. Journal of Computer in Biology and Medicine, 2021, 136. Q1
5. Prabhu Attur R, Shenoy SV, Nagaraju SP, Rangaswamy D, Rao IR, Mohan BV, Nayak M D, Koulmane Laxminarayana SL, Saraf K, Ramaswamy A. Acute Kidney Injury and Progressive Diabetic Kidney Disease: An Epidemiological Perspective. International Journal of Nephrology and Renovascular Disease 2021:14; 23—31. Q2
· Fellowship in oncopathology is a structured full-time post-doctoral training program of one-year duration offered by the Department of Pathology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal & affiliated to the Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), and was inducted in 2021. It forms one of the core competencies of comprehensive cancer care. The course aims to impart advanced knowledge, skills, and practices of oncopathology and to coach, mould & mentor a specialist in oncopathology capable of competent ethical practice individually or as a part of a multidisciplinary team to further patient care & medical research. The candidates will undergo rotation posting in the tumour clusters as part of the training program.
· A special Centre for Foetal and Perinatal Pathology has been established in 2019 to identify the causes of foetal and perinatal deaths and thereby reduce the perinatal mortality rate.
· The Transplant immunology laboratory attached to the department is the only lab in coastal Karnataka that offers 24X7 HLA typing and cross-matching services.
· A 24x7 STAT laboratory located in the new trauma block and in close vicinity of department of emergency-medicine, divert and bear the load of emergency cases and helps to get lab report swiftly.
· The department shares a unique Museum of Anatomy and Pathology (MAP) with separate public and student sections that are partially digitalized. The museum specimens are constantly updated with the addition of new and refurbishing of old specimens.