About the Department
The Department of Surgical Oncology, Kasturba Medical College was established in 1992 and is one of the earliest Surgical Oncology departments in this part of the state. The department has grown strength to strength, abreast with latest developments and moving towards the goal of adequate cancer surgery along with function/organ preservation in tune with the internationally accepted treatment standards and guidelines. It is an internationally acclaimed centre for cancer treatment and research, catering to the needs of people of the state of Karnataka and adjoining parts of Kerala and Goa. The department has several innovative and pioneering works in cancer control, treatment, research and training to its credit. The department provides a thorough surgical care, starting with establishing the diagnosis, through comprehensive staging of the tumour, oncologically sound surgery and high standards of post-operative care. The department is located in the Shirdi Sai Baba Cancer Centre and Research block and is a part of Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Care Centre (MCCCC) with full-fledged departments of Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Paediatric Oncology, Palliative Medicine and Nuclear Medicine and supported by allied services such as Plastic surgery, Critical care medicine, Anaesthesiology, Pathology, Radiology, Microbiology, Nutrition and Transfusion Medicine.
On an average, 900 major oncological surgeries are performed by the department in a year. The spectrum of surgeries includes basic, advanced and supra major complex resections and reconstructions. Routine operations include procedures for head and neck (including Thyroid and Salivary Gland tumors), breast and gynecological cancers (Ovary, Cervix and Endometrial cancers). Major procedures performed are all types of Esophageal cancer surgeries, Hepato-pancreatico-biliary cancer surgeries (Liver, Bile duct and Pancreatic tumors), upper and lower Gastrointestinal cancer surgeries (Stomach, Colon and Rectal Cancers), Thoracic cancer surgeries (Lung, Trachea, Mediastinal neoplasms Including Thymus gland tumor), Limb salvage surgery (Bone and soft tissue tumors), Hyper-thermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) and Pelvic exenterations etc. Minimally invasive cancer surgeries include advanced laparoscopic and thoracoscopic (VATS-Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery) surgeries.
YouTube Video-link for surgical oncology procedures:
Laparoscopic Right colectomy with CME/CVL: https://youtu.be/5YDMlxTl0k8
Laparoscopic Right extended Colectomy with CME: https://youtu.be/a2KtaSPu4Lg
Laparoscopic Left Colectomy with CVL: https://youtu.be/ZdYRBgS0pS0
Laparoscopic low Anterior resection and TME: https://youtu.be/WtIUn5i9QC8
Laparoscopic Radical Antegrade Modular Pancreato-splenectomy (RAMPS): https://youtu.be/yaxxY1U-1ho
Thoracoscopic (VATS) esophagectomy with mediastinal Lymphadenectomy: https://youtu.be/6WVoaSnjdwI
Laparoscopic distal radical gastrectomy with D2 Lymphadenectomy : https://youtu.be/aE-cMUoHLdI
Laparoscopic pelvic lymphadenectomy for early endometrial carcinoma: https://youtu.be/bo17sY448Gc
Laparoscopic Right radical Nephrectomy: https://youtu.be/6w0hobA_8ng
Laparoscopic Left partial nephrectomy: https://youtu.be/axMVGf4UDdY
MCh Surgical Oncology (Commencing from academic year-2023)
FHNO Head and Neck surgery ( till 2024)
Observership in Surgical Oncology : https://manipal.edu/kmc-manipal/program-list/short-term1.html
Dr. Shailesh Vinayak Shrikhande
Deputy Director, Professor & Head, Division of cancer surgery, Tata Memorial Cancer Centre, Mumbai
Dr. Avanish Saklani
Professor, Colorectal cancer and Robotic Surgery, Tata Memorial Cancer Centre, Mumbai
Dr. Shabber S Zaveri
Consultant, Surgical Oncology
Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
- Thoracoscopic (VATS) surgery – Esophageal cancer, Lung and Mediastinal tumors
- Laparoscopic surgery- Stomach, Pancreas, Colorectal, Gynecological and Urological cancers
- TAMIS- Trans-anal Minimally invasive surgery for early rectal cancers
- Inter-sphincteric resection (ISR) – Sphincter preserving surgery for low rectal cancer
- Conservative surgery- Breast, Limb saving surgery, Nephron sparing for kidney cancer
- Sentinel node – Breast, Gynecological and Urological cancers
- Cytoreductive surgery + Hyper-thermic Intra Peritoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for Peritoneal surface malignancies, Stomach, Colorectal cancer, Ovarian cancer.
- Pelvic Exenterative surgery – Colorectal, Gynec and Urological cancers
- Lung and liver surgery/metastatectomy
- Plastic reconstruction-Local and free flaps.
- Chemotherapy venous access devices insertion
- A Mechanistic Review of Methotrexate and Celecoxib as a Potential Metronomic Chemotherapy for Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
Mehta Vedant Kamal, Mahadev Rao, Rama Rao Damerla, Ananth Pai, Krishan Sharan, Akhil Palod, Preethi S. Shetty, Nawaz Usman, Naveena A.N. Kumar. Cancer Investigation (2023) , DOI: 10.1080/07357907.2022.2139840.
2. Recurrent Giant Myofibroblastic Sarcoma of Neck in a Teenager: Overcoming Treatment Challenges
Diksha Dinker, Keshava Rajan, Naveena A. N. Kumar, Vishwapriyan Godhkini. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (2023) doi.org/10.1007/s12070-023-03752-y
3. Parietal Peritoneum Interposition Tube Graft as an Autologous Substitute for the Reconstruction of Inferior Vena cava Following Resection of Retroperitoneal Sarcoma
Sameer Ahmed, Naveena A. N. Kumar, Akhil Palod, Arvind Kumar Bishnoi. Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-023-01768-y .
4. Enbloc resection of primary oral cancer involving infratemporal fossa: A systematic “out to in and top to bottom” surgical approach and outcomes .
Naveena AN Kumar, Punit Singh Dikhit, Keshava Rajan, Nawaz Usman, Preethi S Shetty, Vedant Mehta, Rinsha Gireesh. J Stomatol Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2023 May 27:101515. doi: 10.1016/j.jormas.2023.101515.
5. Myoepithelial Carcinoma of Sinonasal Cavity: PeculiarDiagnosis, Conventional Treatment
Diksha Dinker, Keshava Rajan, Swati Sharma, Naveena AN Kumar. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery https://doi.org/10.1007/s12070-023-03989-7
6. Agenesis of Dorsal Pancreas and Solid Pseudopapillary Tumor: Ventral Pancreas Preserving Portal Vein Resection and Reconstruction Using a Peritoneal Graft
Naveena AN Kumar, Arika S. Dsouza, Nawaz Usman, Arvind K. Bishnoi. Cureus 15(6): e40916. DOI 10.7759/cureus.40916
7. Oral Metronomic Chemotherapy in Advanced and Metastatic Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Need of the Hour .
Naveena A. N. Kumar, Punit Singh Dikhit, Anmi Jose, Vedant Mehta, Ananth Pai,Adarsh Kudva, Mahadev Rao. J. Maxillofac. Oral Surg. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-023-01963-y.
8. Indigenous technique to develop sponge for endo vaccum therapy in post-operative anastomotic leak: A case report.
9. Prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 (PTGS2) gene expression and its association with genes regulating the VEGF signaling pathway in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
Mehta Vedant Kamal, Rama Rao Damerla, Punit Singh Dikhit, Naveena AN Kumar. Journal of Oral Biology and Craniofacial Research 13 (2023) 567–574
10. Integration of liquid biopsy and pharmacogenomics for precision therapy of EGFR mutant and resistant lung cancers
Kolesar, J., Peh, S., Thomas, L., Baburaj, G., Mukherjee, N., Kantamneni, R., Lewis, S., Pai, A., Udupa, K. S., Kumar An, N., Rangnekar, V. M. & Rao, M., 12-2022, In: Molecular Cancer. 21, 1, p. 61 1 p., 61.
11. Ipsilateral Cervicodeltopectoral Flap: A Forgotten Technique, Revival in the Era of Microvascular Reconstruction.
Usman, N., Dikhit, P.S., Kumar, N.A.N. et al. J. Maxillofac. Oral Surg. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-022-01757-8
12. Identification of HOX signatures contributing to oral cancer phenotype.
Padam KSR, Morgan R, Hunter K, Chakrabarty S, Kumar NAN, Radhakrishnan R. Sci Rep. 2022 Jun 16;12(1):10123. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-14412-6.
13. To CT or not to CT: Questioning the Cost-Effectiveness of CT Thorax in Head and Neck Cancers
Usman, N., Shetty, P.S., Dikhit, P.S, D Diksha, Kumar NAN. et al. Indian J Surg Oncol(2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-022-01608-5
14. The regulatory role of HOX interacting lncRNA in oral cancer-An in silico analysis.
Basavarajappa DS, Padam KSR, Chakrabarty S, An NK, Radhakrishnan R. J Oral Pathol Med. 2022 Jun 29. doi: 10.1111/jop.13329.
15. A comprehensive review on wound dressing usage in clinical settings
Sanjay P Sonar, Naveena AN Kumar, Ashok Moharana, Deepak TS. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine (2022) 8 (3): 16-26.
16. Synchronous Whole Sternal Metastasis from Primary Malignant Mediastinal Germ Cell Tumor in a Teenager
Bhat VK, Vijayasekharan K, Usman N, Naveena AN Kumar. South Asian J Cancer 2022;00(00):1–4.
19. Laparoscopic extended colectomy with complete mesocoli excision for right sided cT4b colon cancer-A video vignette.
Kumar NAN, Palod A, Usman N, Shetty PS, Narasimha VRV, Ahamed S. Colorectal Dis. 2022 Sep 11. doi: 10.1111/codi.16330.
20 Laparoscopic left colectomy with complete mesocolic excision for splenic flexure tumour with intussusception-a video vignette
Kumar NAN, Palod A, Usman N, S Shetty P, Jb N, Hv Crithic V.. Colorectal Dis. 2022 Oct 11. doi: 10.1111/codi.16363.
Kumar, N. A., Bishnoi, A. K., Usman, N., Rajan, K., Gaude, Y. K., Nileshwar, A. & Prabhu, M., 01-09-2020, In: Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
1. Re-establishing full-fledged surgical oncology service under the roof of Manipal comprehensive cancer care.
2. Commencing fellowship programs in Onco-surgery and Head and neck oncology
3. Commencing M.Ch Surgical Oncology program from 2023
Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/w8BS1vf94ximFQBV9
Phone number : +91- 820-2922268/2923887